The roof deck refers to the material or “sheathing” that covers the roof structure, and the roofing material is attached to it as well. Because this component helps support the weight of your asphalt shingles, you’ll want to make sure it’s always in top form. That’s why it makes sense to have the roof deck repaired when it’s damaged, right? Nope – that’s actually a pretty bad idea. Here’s why.
- There’s no guarantee it won’t get damaged again. Because the roof decking is typically made of wood or composite wood fibers, it can be susceptible to moisture damage. Mold and mildew may develop on the boards, eventually leading to rot. This, in turn, weakens the support structure of the roof system. And, while you can have the roof deck repaired (usually by removing the affected boards and installing new ones in their place), you can’t be sure the rot won’t spread yet again.
- Repairs are only a temporary solution. Replacing the deck completely is the better and longer lasting solution because it helps further damage to the system and ensures the roof materials can have a sturdier foundation. You also get to avoid extensive and costly roofing work. But when having the deck replaced, make sure to hire a trusted roofing contractor like Total Roof Services Corp. for the job. We have the necessary skills and experience to complete the work perfectly right the first time.
How Exactly Can You Tell the Roof Deck Needs Replacement?
Prompt action is required once you discover the following warning signs:
- Wet spots on the ceiling
- Water stains and streaks along the ceiling and walls
- Excess concentrations of mold and mildew in the attic
- Sagging ceiling or roofline
Should You Have the Deck Replaced When Installing a New Roof?
You don’t actually have to if the roof deck is still in good shape. The only way to know for sure is to have it inspected thoroughly by your choice of roofer before the new roof is installed. It does make sense, however, to have the deck replaced just to be safe. After all, your new roof will need a solid base to effectively hold it up.
Whether you need storm damage roof repair or a complete roof installation, look no further than Total Roof Services Corp. We’ll make sure you can keep a sturdier, damage-free home with our exceptional roofing solutions. We proudly serve Orlando and all the areas in Central Florida. Call us today at (407) 495-4151, or fill out this contact form to schedule your roof evaluation.