When it comes to roofing materials, you have a wide range of options to consider. After all, according to residential roofing experts, you can choose between materials, such as metal, clay tile or even wood shingles if you’re feeling brave. However, while these are all good materials for your roof, there is a material that’s won the favor of homeowners from all over: asphalt shingles.
Here are they key components that make up an asphalt shingle roof:
- Asphalt shingles are the first component of an asphalt roofing system. This is because these shingles provide your roof with its water-shedding surface to prevent your home from suffering from leaks and other kinds of water damage. Apart from that, roof repair experts also say that the shingles contribute to improving your home’s aesthetic appeal as it gives your home a unique look and helps it stand out from the rest of your neighborhood.
- Underlayment Another important component of an asphalt shingle roof is the underlayment. According to professionals, this is an added layer of protection placed between your shingles and the roof deck to prevent it from suffering from leaks and needing emergency roof repair in the event that water ever manages to infiltrate your roofing system.
- Ice and Water Barriers All roofing systems come with vulnerable parts, such as the valleys, chimneys and roof protrusions, which can allow water to infiltrate your roofing over time. With that in mind, another important component known as the ice and water barriers will be installed on your residential roofing system to prevent water from entering your home via these vulnerable areas.
- Starter Strip Products According to experts, asphalt shingles are sometimes susceptible to being blown off, especially when a strong storm arrives in your area. Luckily, if you pick the right shingle brand, you won’t have to worry about this as most of them come with starter strip products. This component is important for an asphalt shingle roof as they provide the first row of sealant that prevent your shingles from being blown-off and stops water from infiltrating the roof.
- Hip and Ridge Shingles Another important component of asphalt shingle roofing systems are the hip and ridge shingles. This is because, once your shingles are installed, this product will be added to complement your roof and further improve its aesthetic appeal, increasing your home’s overall value in the process. Other than that, it can also further increase your roof’s protection against water infiltration, further saving you the trouble of having to worry about roof repairs or replacements.
- Ventilation System Without proper attic ventilation, your roof could deteriorate earlier than expected as excess heat and moisture can easily bake your shingles from the inside. Therefore, this makes proper roofing ventilation another important part of asphalt roofing systems as it allows your roof to breathe and expel any excess air and moisture that may enter your roof, preventing early deterioration as a result. Should your home’s current attic ventilation prove inadequate, be sure to have a professional improve your home’s ventilation system to ensure your roof lasts for as long as expected.
Need someone who can help you maintain your roof? Look no further than Total Roof Services Corp. Give us a call at (407) 495-4151, or fill out our contact form to schedule a FREE consultation.