There are many reasons asphalt shingles remain the go-to roofing option for millions of homes across the country. For one thing, they are reasonably priced and easy to install, but can go head-to-head with more premium roofing materials in terms of weather performance. Not only that – asphalt shingles are beautiful. They are available in a wide variety of colors and textures, with some even mimicking the earthy good looks of wood shakes, tile and slate.
An asphalt shingle roof has a life expectancy of up to 20 years, but you can make the system last even longer with regular and proper maintenance. This task is easy enough once you know what mistakes to avoid.
1. Walking across your roof: Performing a visual inspection is the first step in asphalt shingle roof maintenance. You’ll want to be on the lookout for issues that can compromise the system’s performance, which means checking its surface for:
- Cracked, curling, blistered or missing shingles
- Damaged flashing
- Roof debris
- Algae growth
- Pooling water
But where exactly is the mistake in this? Well, some homeowners take it upon themselves to give their asphalt shingle roof a closer look by climbing on top of it. You probably already know that roofing systems can only take so much foot traffic. Unless absolutely necessary, walking across the system actually does more harm than good. Aside from potentially damaging the shingles with your weight, you’ll also be putting your safety at risk. Slip-and-fall accidents are not uncommon during an amateur roof inspection after all.
If you need to survey your roof’s condition, do it using binoculars and at a safe spot. Of course, a visual inspection isn’t enough. To accurately determine your roof’s condition, you’ll need to call a roof repair and maintenance professionals like Total Roof Services Corp. They have the training and experience for the task, and will practice the necessary measures to safely and efficiently inspect your roof. With the Florida hurricane season about to roll in, it pays to have your roof checked now to get it prepped and ready for what’s ahead.
2. Overlooking your gutters: It may seem like the gutters are a separate component to your roof system, but they’re not. When the gutters become congested by leaves and other debris, they allow rainwater to back up and overflow. A considerable amount of water may even find its way to the fascia board, deteriorating it and subjecting the space under your roof to moisture damage. If overlooked, this damage may extend to the roof structure, weakening it. When going for professional shingle roof maintenance this season, make sure the gutters are included in the process.
3. Putting off roof leak repair” Asphalt shingles can be damaged in a number of ways. High winds can get under them and lift them up, loosening them just enough to be torn off in the next gale. Wind-blown debris, meanwhile, can damage the shingles upon impact, creating cracks and openings where water can leak inside. Knowingly ignoring the leaks resulting from these will cost you more in the long run. Have them dealt with promptly by turning to your local residential roofing company for repairs. Otherwise, those simple leaks will worsen and leave your home more susceptible to damage.
4. Leaving debris to pile up on your asphalt shingle roof: The fact is the leaves and debris on the surface of your roof retain moisture, which encourages algae growth. Sunlight is not enough to get rid of these layers of fungi. They don’t just look unsightly; they can also accelerate the deterioration of your asphalt shingle roof. That’s why, if you spot debris on your roof, have them cleared immediately.
5. Not checking roof ventilation: Your asphalt shingle roof will need sufficient ventilation to keep it in good shape. Without it, heat and moisture will build up in the space underneath the system, allowing mold and mildew to develop in the rafters. It doesn’t end there: the trapped heat can also bake the shingles overhead, causing them to age prematurely.
Why You Should Leave Your Roof Maintenance to Us
Finding a trusted roof repair and maintenance company to deal with your needs is actually pretty simple. You can either go online and browse for possible roofers or do it the old-school way by asking family and friends for local referrals. The latter, in fact, is usually more reliable because it can provide you with a better and more accurate idea of how a given roofing company does business. Either way, you’ll find the same name appearing at the top of the list – Total Roof Services Corp.
We are one of the top roofing companies in the area, specializing in the installation, repair and maintenance of asphalt shingle systems. You can always count on us to deliver the best results because:
- We are fully qualified. Total Roof Services Corp. has all the necessary licenses, bond and insurance, including workers’ compensation and liability coverage, for your greater protection. We won’t hesitate to show you proof of our credentials should you need to see them.
- We are experienced. For 10 years, Total Roof Services Corp. has provided homeowners in the Central Florida area with top-tier solutions to all their roofing needs. Do you need emergency roof repair? Our quick response team will be there shortly. Does your roof need a checkup? All it takes is one phone call, and we’ll be there to accurately determine its overall condition.
Our friendly yet professional team has what it takes to repair and maintain your asphalt shingle roof, ensuring it can continue delivering the superior weather protection you’ve come to expect. We don’t cut corners, but just provide exceptional roofing work done right the first time. Few roofers can provide the same attention to detail and personalized service that Total Roof Services Corp. can.
- We are proven. Total Roof Services Corp. is a GAF Certified Master Elite® roofing company, so you get access to some of the highest quality asphalt shingle roofing systems available today – along with the extensive warranty coverage included with them. Not only that: we maintain an A+ Rating with the Better Business Bureau and continue to receive five-star reviews on Google My Business from pleased clients.
When in need of high-quality roofing services – whether it involves emergency roof repair or preventive maintenance – look no further than Total Roof Services Corp. We’ll help you get the most of your asphalt shingle roof’s service life and performance through our professional solutions. We proudly serve Orlando and all the areas in Central Florida. Call us today at (407) 495-4151, or fill out this contact form to schedule your roof evaluation. We’d love to hear from you!